Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15751) Original string bugs/typos, batch

To: sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15751) Original string bugs/typos, batch
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 15:15:49 -0800

Attached patch covers some of the more obvious mistakes!

Other comments below:

On 2006-03-03, at 06.53, sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's a list of things I ran into when updating the Finnish unstable
> translation.
>
> Typo in ai/advdiplomacy.c line 1573. Translatable string
> does not start with a capital W after start-tag.
> (Also, the start-tag *%s (AI)* could well be separated from the string
> to avoid re-translating it over and over. Same as seems to have
> happened
> with "Game:" (thank goodness - now I just need to REMOVE it from all
> strings). ;))

The original author of the Swedish l10n actually translated every
occasion of "AI"  to "datorstyrd" (lit. "computer-controlled"). Other
translators might have done so too. Whether it is advisable or not is
another question though. ;-)

> server/cityhand.c:387 and others suggest translating string
> "%s". Absolutely needs a context indicator and preferrably
> also a translator comment; otherwise in practice
> untranslateable. Should be translateable, not marked untranslateable.

I just suppose these kind of strings never have to be altered by
translators. Such as the name of a nation etc.

> server/citytools.c:894 seems to have unnecessary indenting left over
> from having "Game: " in the start. Looks funky.

The indenting is AFAICT intentional. Also for example:

#: server/plrhand.c:1684
#, c-format
msgid ""
"The capture of %s's capital and the destruction of the empire's "
"administrative\n"
"      structures have sparked a civil war.  Opportunists have flocked
to the "
"rebel cause,\n"
"      and the upstart %s now holds power in %d rebel provinces."

> server/citytools.c:1017 string should probably end in "."
>
> server/citytools.c:1854 Don't put the space in the translateable
> substring, put it between the %s%s so we can do punctuation where it
> should be.

I didn't follow you here. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_pixmap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GGZ_Gaming_Zone

> #: client/options.c:176
> msgid ""
> "If this options is set then there will be icons displayed on the
> technology "
> "tree diagram. Turning this option off makes the technology tree more
> compact."
> -> If this optioN is set...
>
> client/options.c setting explanations are in nonstandard format: Set
> this option to... If this option is set... If set... If this option is
> disabled..., both.
>
> client/options.c: around 242: the layer descriptions are in varying
> format. X layer shows... If enabled, then x will be drawn...

Last two comments.... will need some effort to clean up. ;-)

> That's it for tonight. :)
>
> --Sini

Regards,

-Daniel