Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15751) Original string bugs/typos, batch

To: sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15751) Original string bugs/typos, batch
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:38:56 -0800

Daniel Markstedt wrote:

>>[sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Mon Mar 06 14:31:34 2006]:
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Thanks for the reply, Daniel!

>>>I just suppose these kind of strings never have to be altered by
>>>translators. Such as the name of a nation etc.
>>
>>Hmm. I had a warning light on but was confused about what it warned
>>about. The important point I was missing is that a lone %s shouldn't
>>just blindly be marked untranslateable again. Check if it's used wrong
>>first.
>
> It definitley needs a TRANS comment, yes, as do all similar messages
> really. In this case I couldn't even figure out what %s is supposed to
> be by looking at the code.

I can't think of any conceivable situation where "%s" would have to be
translated.  There might be a situation where some text like "%s, %s"
could be translated but it this is obviously not a good thing, needs a
TRANS comment, and should be refactored if possible.

Patches to improve the translatable texts are always welcome.  Removing
leading strings or whitespace from the text is a good thing and is
usually easy, but there is simply a lot of text that this applies to.
Normal coders don't ever see this issue so it's something the
translators need to report on a case-by-case basis. By contrast, this
thread has gone on so long I haven't really followed it; it seems to be
mostly translational details, not coding details.  To get actual fixes
we need to be pointed at a concrete problem.

-jason