Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15751) Original string bugs/typos, batch

To: sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15751) Original string bugs/typos, batch
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 17:51:32 -0800

Daniel Markstedt wrote:

>>server/cityhand.c:387 and others suggest translating string
>>"%s". Absolutely needs a context indicator and preferrably
>>also a translator comment; otherwise in practice
>>untranslateable. Should be translateable, not marked untranslateable.
>
> I just suppose these kind of strings never have to be altered by
> translators. Such as the name of a nation etc.

You would never have to translate "%s", though the content should of
course be translated (and most likely is).

Probably this string used to be _("Game: %s") before the "Game: " part
was cut out...

A side note: in the code

     notify_player(pplayer, pcity->tile, E_BAD_COMMAND,
                     "%s",  message);

the "%s" is acutally needed...because message may contain % or other
meta-characters which are not properly escaped.

-jason