Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14969) Ressource specials are no longer modified w

To: guillaume.melquiond@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14969) Ressource specials are no longer modified when a terrain is transformed
From: "Gilderoy" <aaron_talamasca@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:56:13 -0800

Jason Short ha scritto:

> This was a known bug when I committed the patch. However I didn't think
>
>it critical since it's no worse than the previous bug that the special
>would magically be transformed into some other special.
>
>However there are two problems with it:
>
>* You can get nonsensical resources.  For instance if you transform
>ocean you can end up with swamp/fish or hills/whales.
>
>* Some of the specials that are normally on "bad" terrains provide
>really awesome bonuses, and are imbalancing when those are converted to
>good terrains.  For instance Fruit gives +3 food and +1 trade, which
>would make your plains with irrigation into 5/1/3 under republic with
>road (or 5/1/4 with river), I think.
>
>So how to fix it?
>
>1 Transform the resource when the terrain is transformed.  In my opinion
>this is terrible.  It is not intuitive, and has always been a bug in
>Freeciv IMO.
>
>2 Let the resource stay, and fix the rulesets to be balanced.  This
>would mean weakening Fruit and numerous other resources, and disallowing
>terrain conversions that give nonsensical results.  Also bad since it
>prevents reasonable compatibility (civ2 resources would have to be changed).
>
>3 Remove the resource on transformation, unless it's allowed in the new
>terrain.  This is a reasonable choice, the only problem is it will annoy
>players since once they destroy the resource they can't get it back.
>
>4 Like #3, but we also add more info to the resources ruleset to allow
>more different resources on more terrains.  For instance we can allow
>wine on plains, but set its probability to 0 so mapgen will never
>generate it.  Then you can get plains/wine through transformation, but
>you can never get plains/fruit or plains/whales.
>
>5 Like #3 or #4, but let the resource stay when transforming, just
>"hide" it.  Thus ptile->resource will always remain the same when
>transforming, but if the resource is not one that is allowed it will not
>be drawn and will not provide any benefit.  Changing the terrain back to
>one that does allow the resource will cause it to reappear.
>
>-jason

the idea i like the most is #5 plus #4, but with and indicator that say
"if you trasform in grassland you will get/lose wine" and tile generated
with random hidden resources (that appear only if transformed into the
right kind of tile)
I think other kind of solution will be annoing (#3) or unbalancing (#2)

Yahoo! Messenger: chiamate gratuite in tutto il mondo
http://it.messenger.yahoo.com