Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14969) Ressource specials are no longer modified w

To: guillaume.melquiond@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14969) Ressource specials are no longer modified when a terrain is transformed
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasco.costa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 15:30:23 -0800

On 12/24/05, Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So how to fix it?
>
> 1 Transform the resource when the terrain is transformed.  In my opinion
> this is terrible.  It is not intuitive, and has always been a bug in
> Freeciv IMO.
>
> 2 Let the resource stay, and fix the rulesets to be balanced.  This
> would mean weakening Fruit and numerous other resources, and disallowing
> terrain conversions that give nonsensical results.  Also bad since it
> prevents reasonable compatibility (civ2 resources would have to be changed).
>
> 3 Remove the resource on transformation, unless it's allowed in the new
> terrain.  This is a reasonable choice, the only problem is it will annoy
> players since once they destroy the resource they can't get it back.
>
> 4 Like #3, but we also add more info to the resources ruleset to allow
> more different resources on more terrains.  For instance we can allow
> wine on plains, but set its probability to 0 so mapgen will never
> generate it.  Then you can get plains/wine through transformation, but
> you can never get plains/fruit or plains/whales.
>
> 5 Like #3 or #4, but let the resource stay when transforming, just
> "hide" it.  Thus ptile->resource will always remain the same when
> transforming, but if the resource is not one that is allowed it will not
> be drawn and will not provide any benefit.  Changing the terrain back to
> one that does allow the resource will cause it to reappear.

Hello Jason,

It seems clear, at least to me, we cannot let old specials remains in the
new terrain at risk of weirdness like the beforementioned landlocked whales
scenario. So in my view we only have two clean solutions. The one is removing
the special as you mentioned before, another is to randomly assign a new special
valid in that terrain, which seems IMO reasonable.

--
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa