Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14969) Ressource specials are no longer modified w

To: guillaume.melquiond@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14969) Ressource specials are no longer modified when a terrain is transformed
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 05:42:52 -0800

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > 3 Remove the resource on transformation, unless it's allowed in the new
> > terrain.This is a reasonable choice, the only problem is it will annoy
> > players since once they destroy the resource they can't get it back.
> > 5 Like #3 or #4, but let the resource stay when transforming, just
> > "hide" it.Thus ptile->resource will always remain the same when
> > transforming, but if the resource is not one that is allowed it will not
> > be drawn and will not provide any benefit.Changing the terrain back to
> > one that does allow the resource will cause it to reappear.
> It seems clear, at least to me, we cannot let old specials remains in the
> new terrain at risk of weirdness like the beforementioned landlocked whales
> scenario. So in my view we only have two clean solutions. The one is removing
> the special as you mentioned before, another is to randomly assign a new
> special
> valid in that terrain, which seems IMO reasonable.

I don't know, that will make players calculate transformations from "bad"
specials to "good" specials, knowing that by transforming a plains with
shield into hill will with 50% chance give you coal. You can get a lot of
coal that way, especially if you can do it again and again until you get
it right.

I like 3 or 5 above better. Players generally shouldn't be tranforming
valuable resources.

  - Per