Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13805) Patch: Suggested change of default ruler ti

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13805) Patch: Suggested change of default ruler titles
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:19:01 -0700

On 2005-10-05, at 20.04, Peter Schaefer wrote:

> Well how about just allowing players to select the title, for example
> by using different names for different civs, if that is possible?

Isn't that already possible, with the ruler_titles tags? This is a
question of finding a relatively fitting title for all nations that has
not specified an own Despotism or Anarchy title (many hasn't).

> It might also make sense to somehow include the year or the number of
> cities in the calculation.

Sounds like unnecessary work.

> This whole discussion somehow does lead nowhere, since obviously if
> the government is despotism, the ruler is a despot. Maybe this
> discussion would make sense if people designed new goverments along
> with the ruler titles.
>
> Now, I hit wikipedia both for tyrant and despot, and before modern
> times it made fully sense to refer to a ruler of a city who had
> overthrown the previous government(usually a "small" king), as a
> tyrant and not to negatively.

How about "Tyrant" for Anarchy perhaps? I had another idea of "Ursuper"
(sp?). "Citizen" is ok, but hasn't this 'strongman' or rebellion leader
kind of feel.

> In contrast, "Despot was an Imperial title, first used under Manuel I
> Komnenos", and it is a title which would appropriately designate a
> leader of the rest of a former empire.
>
> Maybe one would need to hit back to even earlier ages to find some
> ruler title who was not a king. Chieftain actually is pretty good.

I very much favor Chieftain too.

However, then we have the delicate issue on player that change back to
Despotism late in the game: "Bow before Napoleon: Great Chieftain of
the vast (19th century) French empire..." Quite ridiculous. But then
again, humor is not a bad thing. The diplomacy screens of Civ1 for
example had this kind of ridiculousness about them IIRC...

Daniel