Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13805) Patch: Suggested change of default ruler ti

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13805) Patch: Suggested change of default ruler titles
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:04:46 -0700

Well how about just allowing players to select the title, for example
by using different names for different civs, if that is possible?

It might also make sense to somehow include the year or the number of
cities in the calculation.

This whole discussion somehow does lead nowhere, since obviously if
the government is despotism, the ruler is a despot. Maybe this
discussion would make sense if people designed new goverments along
with the ruler titles.

Now, I hit wikipedia both for tyrant and despot, and before modern
times it made fully sense to refer to a ruler of a city who had
overthrown the previous government(usually a "small" king), as a
tyrant and not to negatively.

In contrast, "Despot was an Imperial title, first used under Manuel I
Komnenos", and it is a title which would appropriately designate a
leader of the rest of a former empire.

Maybe one would need to hit back to even earlier ages to find some
ruler title who was not a king. Chieftain actually is pretty good.