Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities

To: osyluth@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13845) Increasing the appeal of very large cities
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:41:02 -0700

Benoit Hudson wrote:

>>In mom it was dependent on the terrain.  Each grassland allowed 1 point
>>of population, each hills and forest and ocean 1/2 point, each mountain
>>0 points (or something like that).  Something like this wouldn't be that
>>hard to implement (see my "death to smallpox" ticket).
>
> Sounds reasonable.  How does that work when cities are built near each other?

mom had a pretty big citymindist, like 3 or 4.  Tiles covered by more
than one city got only half-credit (I think they got half-credit even if
covered by 3 cities).  The death-to-smallpox patch addressed this by
simply dividing the bonus by the number of cities covering the tile.
The main problem here is integer rounding.

>>>My formula can generate maxsize < size, which means either my formula
>>>is bad or we need to special-case that.
>>
>>It's bad because eventually all cities will end up at size N.
>
> Why is that bad?  If you don't build aqueducts, you *should* top out
> at N=8 according to the default ruleset.

Hmm.  Right.  The problem though is the max population will vary based
on the amount of food coming in.  It should instead depend on the
maximum amount of food provided by all tiles, regardless of if they're
actually worked.

-jason