Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13410) War & Peace

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13410) War & Peace
From: "Daniel Doran" <dadoran@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:08:26 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> 8. Non-military units are also prohibited from doing actions that would
>cause 'reason for war' under ceasefire, armistice, peace and alliance. The
>'reason for war' concept is removed. It was never transparent, and quite
>abusable.

I assume that in this category, you include diplomats and spies doing
harm.  As I see it, preventing them from doing so violates a large part
of their reason for existing.  If you are going to include code to
prevent them from doing what they were made for, establish a setting
(server or ruleset) that permits them to do harm regardless of borders.
This could well make removing 'reason for war' impossible.  And in any
case, they should not be prohibited from attempting to reach a foreign
city to (possibly) establish an embassy.  Likewise, Caravans and Freight
should not be prohibited from crossing borders, athough even this
privilege can be abused.