Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13410) War & Peace

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13410) War & Peace
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:09:40 -0700

One possible borders rule is:

An owned tile may be protected if either:

1.  It is within the border radius of a border generator (fortress or
city), and there is no enemy border generator that is closer.

2.  One of your units or an allied unit is standing on the tile.

3.  One of your units or an allied unit that has ZOC is adjacent to the
tile.

Unprotected owned tiles do *not* become unowned (this could be
experimented with) but may be claimed by someone else.  An unowned or
unclaimed tile is automatically claimed immediately if it is within the
border radius of a border generator (fortress/city).

One way to minimize border wars between allies is to drop the benefits
of borders toward allied nations.  In other words allies should be
allowed to work tiles inside your borders.

I think the problem #1 that Benoit pointed out with your system seems
unfixable.  So I think your rule #3 is unworkable.  However I don't
think it's necessary.

Finally, the problem with this or any other system in which units can
provide or protect borders is that any time a unit is moved you have to
check for changing borders.  This problem also seems unfixable; either
we spend some CPU cycles doing the check or we don't allow
easily-movable items to affect borders.

-jason