Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13410) War & Peace

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13410) War & Peace
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:51:30 -0700

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Benoit Hudson wrote:
> Flaws:
> (1) if I set up a fortress right next to an enemy unit, I don't get to
>   claim the territory behind me.

I'm not sure this is a flaw. The presence of enemy units nearby disrupts
your ability to make a clear claim to a lot of territory.

> (2) this way I get to have claims wars with allies:an ally can put units
>   up to try and establish a de facto border, but I can usurp that claim
>   if I build first.

Well, if you are allies... I don't know. I am open to allowing allied
units disrupt borders too.

> (3) an enemy can keep me from claiming territory indefinitely even after I
>   kill the unit.  I'd have to build another fortress to claim it.

We can have all border generators recheck borders on turn end.

> >5. Ceasefire works as before, but ends up back in 'war'. You can only
> >6. New treaty 'armistice', which disallows you from entering new units
>
> I propose instead there be no automatic disbanding, but rather a GUI
> element to help you find infringers (perhaps in the diplomacy screen).
> Ceasefire leads to peace if there are no infringing units for some small
> number of turns (maybe 3) or at the end of the ceasefire, and war if there
> are still infringing units at the end of the ceasefire time.

That is neat. But I like ceasefire and armistice being separate:
 - It gives a clear progression war->ceasefire->armistice->peace for
player <-> AI interaction which gradually adds restrictions, not too
quick.
 - Ceasefire that reverts to war allows a way to sort out peace with a
block of allied AIs, instead of using the 'alliance leader' concept.

A GUI to show infringers? I have no clue how you would start writing such
a GUI. Is it that difficult to find them on the map?

  - Per