Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:41:02 -0700

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Guest wrote:

> A great pitty: I understood that 'outdated' system. Lua looks too much
> like advanced programming. Will rulesets have Lua instead of the current
> syntax? I think that's a bad choice. I suddenly understand a comment on
> the forums about '1.14.2' being better than '2.0.0', though I personally
> didn't think so. Still, maybe Lua is one of the layers? and the

You seem to be *very* confused indeed. 1.14.2 did not even have working
configurable effects: it was all hardcoded in C at the client and server.
There were effect definitions in the ruleset files, but they were simply
ignored. In fact, you couldn't even reorder the buildings in
buildings.ruleset without breaking the game rules.

> 'current' ruleset syntax will still be used? That would mean I can only
> use existing effects (those programmed by those who understand Lua (and
> wanna go that deep into programming, just to change some game aspects).
> Well, maybe It's not entirely clear to me.
> -Albatrossix

Effects are good for simple continuous effects. Which are a significant,
performance sensitive, part of the code base.

Events are good for discrete events which can have quite complex
dependencies (e.g. you get unit X and tech Y if you are the Chinese and
conquer cities A and B after 1300 AD or if you are the second to
discover technology Z). Declaring these sorts of dependencies in
anything but a high-level language like Lua would be a PITA.

---