Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:51:49 -0700

I'm not a lua expert, but two items come to my mind:

- regarding the concerns that creating rulesets will require people to
learn programming in lua, I believe it will be likely that the ruleset
code even in lua will be little more than simple function calls and
will still look like associative arrays, much like the old version.
lua will just generalize the efforts spent otherwise on writing
ruleset interpreters.

- lua should not be used directly for events that happen very often
during a turn, because lua will be slower than C code