Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12706) Events framework
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:49:51 -0700

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Jason Short wrote:

> Effects are not designed to be used for discrete events, and where they
> are used (for spaceship events for instance) it's very ugly.  It's as
> simple as that.

The code for spaceships right now is braindamaged, I agree.

As is the code for things like Marco Polo's Embassy, Darwin's Voyage, or
the Philosophy tech bonus, to a smaller degree.

My plan was to re-code spaceship parts to be quite more generic (they are
basically player located improvements which have a maximum amount you can
build and are destroyed if your capital city is conquered).

As for the others... I was considering to use events.

> If you want to add continuous effects, use the effects interface (but
> note that it's more complicated in 2.0.99 than it was in 2.0 - the
> 2.0.99 design should be the final one although we may make it more
> user-friendly).  If you want to add discrete events, use the events
> interface.

This sums it up quite nicely.

Just wanted to add some more information. The effects interface for 2.0.99
is more complex than for 2.0 partly because it allows more types of
effects:
while 2.0 only allowed building effects, 2.0.99 also has government,
terrain, and other effects.

---