Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12873) OR Requirements for Buildings

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12873) OR Requirements for Buildings
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:53:51 -0700

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Jason Short wrote:

> Benedict Adamson wrote:
> >
> > The problem with this is that there is nothing to stop a player building
> > a useless extra hydro plant in a city.

This is by design. It is meant to be like this. See:
http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Redundancy_Dependencies

*If* a building is currently having its effects disabled by something
else, it should have an asterisk (*), added automagically next to its name
both on the cities's improvements list and in the production window,
courtesy of is_building_replaced. These items should not show up by
default in the production list either.

Do not try to be smarter than the user! Users do not like smart programs
which do not let them do what they wanted to do, because they think they
are being smart and the users are dumb sheep, when most often they are
not!

In that way lies MS Bob and the Office Paperclip. :-)

> There's already nothing to stop the player from building a useless
> nuclear/power/solar/hydro plant if they already have Hoover.

Yep and this is a *good* thing. For example, a solar plant, if we had one,
actively reduces global warming while hoover will not.

---