Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12833) consider_settler_action simplification

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12833) consider_settler_action simplification
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 06:31:04 -0700

>    The only addition I can think of to what I wrote
> then is this:
>    Take the presence of a river into consideration.
> E.g. mining a
>    plains tile with a river might be a good decision
> for the AI if
>    it has sufficient food from elsewhere.

The AI does this now, in the sense that it looks at
what the tile produces before and after a particular
action.  What it does not do (as far as I know) is
look at how that fits with the city's own particular
situation.  For example, some cities may be in terrain
that already produces a lot of shields (i.e. many
forest squares), so food is the what is holding them
back.  In that case irrigation should be a higher
priority.

> 2) This comment pertains to the tiles that are
> outside of a city:
>
>    Several months ago, I played a game with
> citymindist=5.  One
>    thing I noticed (when I invaded the AI civ's
> islands) was that
>    the AI had failed to connect its cities with
> roads.  IOW the AI
>    apparently stopped building roads at the city
> limits.  If two
>    cities were further apart than 5 tiles then the
> road between them
>    was left incomplete.
>
>    It seems to me that connecting cities with roads
> is something
>    that the AI should do.  That will be particularly
> important if
>    a corruption/waste model is implemented that is
> based not on the
>    distance between cities but on the movement
> points required to
>    travel between cities.

I believe the AI already considers the benefit from
road connectivity.   The algorithm it uses, however,
is    not very intuitive or easy to modify.  When
deciding whether to build a road on a particular tile,
it only considers the status of neighboring tiles, so
that may explain why long roads between cities
separated by many tiles do not get built.