Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12833) consider_settler_action simplification (rev

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12833) consider_settler_action simplification (rev.)
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:42:12 -0700

--- Peter Schaefer <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well I trust you will tell me when I get on your
> nerves:
>
>  I looked at the source and it seems to me it
> 1)iterates over all cities, all tiles, and there is
> no break or return
> to return early
> 2)higher value of newtiles is good
> If I go wrong in the above, I'm probably wrong in my
> ideas below.
>
> Now, thinking aloud, if one had cache of
> >int diff = new_tile_value - old_tile_value;
> such that one could determine max over all tiles/all
> tiles within my
> borders on this continent of(diff), or if one would

I think this is a good idea.
(new_tile_value-old_tile_value) does not depend on the
unit performing the activity, so it could be stored
with the city.  I think with that, and adding an
iterator over all the activities, we could get away
drastically reducing the size of
evaluate_improvements(), and doing away with
consider_settler_action() completely.

With a simpler setup, it might be easier to implement
a solution for the pollution cleanup problems, etc.

evaluate_improvements() (oversimplified) could look
like this:

evaluate_improvements(punit, best_act, best_tile) {

 city_list_iterate(pplayer, pcity) {
  city_map_iterate(pcity, ptile) {

    unit_activity_iterate(punit, activity) {
      if(we_can_do_this_activity()) {

}