Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12833) consider_settler_action simplification

To: bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12833) consider_settler_action simplification
From: "(Eddie Anderson)" <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:22:09 -0700

"James Canete" <use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

snip

>The simplest (and my preferred) solution would be to calculate an ideal
>improvement path for every terrain type, before and after engineers.
>The autosettler then improves all the tiles around its home city,
>starting with worked tiles.  On this tile, it would pile on as many
>improvements as it can, so it would not have to cover the same tile
>twice.  After the home city's worked tiles are all improved, it would
>then consider neighboring cities, but would not want to wander off too far.
>
>I'll see if I can implement the second solution.

Two comments:

1) FWIW, I posted an idea or two on this subject back in early
   December on tkt 11311.  Feel free to incorporate any of those ideas
   if you think they're useful.

   The only addition I can think of to what I wrote then is this:
   Take the presence of a river into consideration.  E.g. mining a
   plains tile with a river might be a good decision for the AI if
   it has sufficient food from elsewhere.

2) This comment pertains to the tiles that are outside of a city:

   Several months ago, I played a game with citymindist=5.  One
   thing I noticed (when I invaded the AI civ's islands) was that
   the AI had failed to connect its cities with roads.  IOW the AI
   apparently stopped building roads at the city limits.  If two
   cities were further apart than 5 tiles then the road between them
   was left incomplete.

   It seems to me that connecting cities with roads is something
   that the AI should do.  That will be particularly important if
   a corruption/waste model is implemented that is based not on the
   distance between cities but on the movement points required to
   travel between cities.

-Eddie