Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12781) Create AI guard API

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12781) Create AI guard API
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:51:13 -0700

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Jason Short wrote:
> > Perhaps weshould allow units to have multiple guards, to provide better
> > behaviour for killstack=0 rule-sets?
> I think a guard should have multiple charges.In an assault you want
> one guard per N assault units.Like one musketeer for every two cannons
> or something.Having more than one guard per tile isn't particularly
> helpful.

Uhhn. Let us keep this simple, please?

Assumption: There is always a master and an apprentice... I mean,
bodyguard and charge, and they try to stay on an individual tile. If we
manage to make an AI attack properly with this, the AI will be improved
manifold.

> >>Wait a minute.Units and cities can have the same IDs right (even if
> >>it's not true it's not a safe assumption)?
> >
> > They can? The assumption that they can not is made in several places in
> > the current bodyguard code. Can someone confirm whether the IDs are
> > distinct?
>
> Even if that's true, I don't think the code should make this assumption.
> Just use separate variables.

Come on, the original coders went to great pains to ensure that this
_feature_ exists, and it has worked flawlessly for so long, so why not use
it?

  - Per