Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12781) Create AI guard API

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12781) Create AI guard API
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:56:57 -0700

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 01:30:45PM -0700, Benedict Adamson wrote:

> Jason Short wrote:
> > I think a guard should have multiple charges.  In an assault you want
> > one guard per N assault units.  Like one musketeer for every two cannons
> > or something.  Having more than one guard per tile isn't particularly
> > helpful.
>
> Multiple guards per tile is often worse than one guard per tile, because
> the additional guards do not increase the chance of the defenders on the
> tile winning a fight, but increase the amount destroyed if they are
> defeated.

It's also often very good: if the probability of winning 1 fight is high
but that of winning n fights is low, you want n guards.  Basically my
strategy against the AI is to put 2 phalanxes on a hill/mountain against
his horses/chariots, but only 1 on plains/grassland (I suppose someone
can do the math to see what "high" and "low" are in my mind).

        -- Benoît