Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12232) don't allow invasions during peace treaties

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12232) don't allow invasions during peace treaties
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 04:26:22 -0800

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 04:27:19PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> As discussed on IRC and in numerous other threads...

I take this that I'm not allowed having units inside a nation's territory
I'm in peace with. Am I right?

But in alliance *and* in war times I *am* allowed. So, this is clearly a
break.

Here are my counter suggestions. 3 possibilities:

- *allow* peaceful units in my territory but limit them, by numbers or
  strength. Physically block the border crossing for units exceeding the
  limit.

  Reality aspect: In peace, the presence of troops is subject of
  negotiations.

- Don't allow attacking for n=4 turns after cancelling an alliance. Disband
  any units still on my territory after (n-1) turns.

  This has a reality aspect, since allied troops in my cities are not easy
  able to attack there comrades at the same place/city/barracks, from command
  structure and from social contacts.

- Strong reputation loss for a nation going from allinace to war in a short
  time.

  Reality aspect obvious.

Can be combined.

> - When entering a peace treaty (through dipldialog, canceling of
> alliance, or loading a saved game) resolve_unit_stacks is called to
> bounce the units.  (Yes, this uses bouncing which is ugly.  Feel free to
> suggest something else.)

What does bouncing mean here?

Christian