Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12232) don't allow invasions during peace treaties

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12232) don't allow invasions during peace treaties
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:12:19 -0800

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 10:17:28AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> > I take this that I'm not allowed having units inside a nation's territory
> > I'm in peace with. Am I right?
>
> Correct.
>
> > But in alliance *and* in war times I *am* allowed. So, this is clearly a
> > break.
>
> Correct.  I had always thought to tie non-invasion to a different pact,
> some kind of non-agression pact that isn't a superset of alliance.
> However this would require changes to the diplomacy model I'm not ready
> to make.

Interesting. A new state, not tied to other diplomatic states. Guess there
are some (modern) historical examples for a peaceful or not so peaceful
non-invasion.

> > - *allow* peaceful units in my territory but limit them, by numbers or
> >   strength. Physically block the border crossing for units exceeding the
> >   limit.
> >
> >   Reality aspect: In peace, the presence of troops is subject of
> >   negotiations.
>
> How is the limit determined?

By negotiations? I think this may be usable with a seperate Non-Invasion
state.

> > - Don't allow attacking for n=4 turns after cancelling an alliance. Disband
> >   any units still on my territory after (n-1) turns.
> >
> >   This has a reality aspect, since allied troops in my cities are not easy
> >   able to attack there comrades at the same place/city/barracks, from
> > command
> >   structure and from social contacts.
>
> Not sure I like this idea.  Note that when breaking alliance under the
> non-invasion patch the units in the territory will be bounced because of
> the peace treaty.

Yes, I think it is necessary to remove the enemy units in peace. But how it
is done? Teleporting is a more ugly way, as you say. Now there is a
difference *who* cancels the alliance. It can disturb my game a lot if my
ally does this while I'm attacking another enemy.

So this suggests a transition time after an alliance is cancelled to peace.
Give the former allies some time to reorder/retreat their units. The
transition time affects the territory of both allies. Units inside cities
are simply moved out. After (n-1) turns any unit still inside the borders
will be disbanded - not teleported. This gives some motivation to hurry up
(and not block tiles/roads/railroads).

But what happens when we enter cease-fire or war, before the transistion
period is over? For cease-fire, nothing happens (besides below). In case of
war, the war declarer (only) looses his units at once.

Ok, this suggestion gives diplomacy some meet. Do you think its playable?

> > - Strong reputation loss for a nation going from allinace to war in a short
> >   time.
> >
> >   Reality aspect obvious.
>
> Indeed.

Christian