Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9706) Wishlist: Change homecity without visiting i

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9706) Wishlist: Change homecity without visiting it
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:50:23 -0800

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > The homecity is quite a realistic concept.

You must be joking. There is nothing remotely 'realistic' about having
ancient armies getting supplies from a random single city on the other
side of the world (eg).

> From a gameplay perspective, I'd suggest the opposite.To reduce
> micromanagement get rid of homecities entirely.This is what MoM and
> MoO2 did and it worked pretty well.

I am sympathetic to this idea. However, what do you do about caravans?
IMHO, we could just as well remove them. I do not like the trade route
micromanagement part, and I hate the help wonders micromanagement part.

Of course, again we need to consider how much civ1/2 compatibility to
retain if we change it.

> Without homecities you may only charge upkeep for global output types.
> InMoM this was gold and food (surplus food was distributed globally).
> In Moo2 I think it was just gold.

Moo2 also had global food, but you needed freight ships (another global
resource) to match to ship food around.

  - Per