Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9706) Wishlist: Remove the idea of homecity

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9706) Wishlist: Remove the idea of homecity
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:04:26 -0800

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 09:50:26AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > games take too long. It should be possible to pool resources from several
> > cities into building a wonder
>
> Just an idea: If a second, third etc city starts building a wonder, it
> contributes shields directly to the city that started building the wonder?
> Then you can dedicate the entire resource output of your civ to building a
> single wonder. This is probably more in line with what it would take to
> build a real wonder of the world - no more cottages building wonders. Also
> you do not need to put a wonder in your most productive city.
>
> However, this makes smallpox much better again.

Think now we are on the right way.

Homecity is needed for:
caravans (start of the traderoute)
settlers (foodupkeep, not really when we have another restriction)
military unit (unhappiness in demo - republic)
production upkeep

With pooling of production we have to think about all that points

- caravans: do we need to change this now?
  - yes: it's 2.0, next chance 3.0
         reduces micromanagement
         only used for wonders in online games

  -  no:  compatibility with past,

- settlers:
  - yes:

  -  no:
(to long for me now ... perhaps later)

Solutions:
  - remove caravans (and trade routes)
  - global unhappyness factor dependend from units outside territory
    from allies
  - possibilitiy to give all production (brutto(after boni)) to other city
      (perhaps reduced by a distance factor)
  - remove food upkeep from settlers, let them get food from a near own
    tile (for example)
  - global production pool for upkeep of military units, can be filled with gold
    (4 for 1)
  - remove "the idea of home city"
      -> units can't lose homecity as sideby effect
     (good idea, because i don't know why a battleship in front of an
      enemy transport should think when the home city is captured)

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.