Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9706) Wishlist: Change homecity without visiting i

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9706) Wishlist: Change homecity without visiting it
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:55:18 -0800

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:03:49AM -0800, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Caravans: Build in city A, change to B, move to A -> easy traderoute
> > with a high distance.
> >
> > Military units: Distribution of unhappyness from high prod cities to
> > happier cities.
> >
> > I think it would be a major change, and i don't know what speaks for it.
> > (Will look into the rt ticket tomorrow.)
>
> I think the proposed patch prohibits remote home-change for caravans.
> Still even for military units it will encourage changes to the city with
> Shakespear's etc.
>
> The reason for the patch is to decrease micromanagement.  However, in my
> opinion, the patch is doing the oppsite -- it eases the micromanagement
> thus encouraging it.  Personally, I never bother about homecity changes (I
> only play against AI though), but if it's made easier, I would have to.

Ok, some additional points against changing homecity without visiting
it.

On unit effects of buildings like barracks:
Units would have an increased chance to get veteran by switching
homecity during fights (it's possible to make war with 1 barrack) you can
switch back after all units have been moved.

Bypass of the rule that for building some units there have to be certain
buildings in your city.

Bypass the chance that you lose a unit supported from a city which is under
attack, when unit is on the field, out of range from an allied city.

I'm still against that rulechange

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.