Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11005) Question about Freeciv 2.0.0 (maybe)

To: edearl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11005) Question about Freeciv 2.0.0 (maybe)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:56:21 -0800

Ed Earl Ross wrote:

> Prior to running Freeciv 2.0.0, it was possible to see the edge of a
> shore whenever the land was undiscovered.

Yes.

> Is there an initialization value that I've mucked up?
> Or, is Freeciv 2.0.0 different than 1.4.x in this regard.

2.0 is different than 1.14.  In 2.0 you can no longer "cheat" by seeing
tiles you haven't yet discovered.

> If Freeciv 2.0.0 is different in this regard, is this a bug or a
> feature? If not a bug, the AI players can see shores that are
> undiscovered, and regularly make trips from  their home shore to another
> that is invisible to a human player.

It is a feature.  The AI does cheat and most AI players can see the
whole map.  This is arguably a bug, but is completely unrelated to the
question of what human players are allowed to see.

jason