Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10125) Pollu_Prod_Pct

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10125) Pollu_Prod_Pct
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:39:40 -0700

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> You're talking about two different things here:
>
> 1.Removing the janitors group.

Oh. So you cannot build a Recycling Center if you have a power plant?

> 2.Replacing the multiplier by a percentage.
>
> The problem with this is that negative percentages do very poorly when
> added.In the current ruleset this isn't a problem because no two such
> effects can ever be active at the same time.But imagine if you had two
> -66% effects active at the same time.What should the result be?

Obviously the result should be capped at 100%. You cannot reduce anything
to less than nothing. If you want to fine tune this in a ruleset, such as
one gives -66% and two gives -85% (or whatever), then you can specify this
as in the example I gave. There still is no reason for these special
numbers that will just confuse the heck out of ruleset authors.

> This is ugly and it prevents having effects that increase pollution.

I suggest: One effect, "Pollution_Pct", which gives the amount of extra
pollution as a percentage, which is capped at -100% and limitless upwards.
If you have a pollution-producing building that makes 50% more pollution
and a pollution-reducing building that reduces pollution by 50% then they
cancel each other out. If you have three buildings buildings that reduce
pollution by 50% and none that increase pollution, you have no pollution
and should sell the third building. Simple.

  - Per