Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8624) New clima function to best handle terrain pl

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8624) New clima function to best handle terrain place, used to place poles.
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:41:19 -0700

Marcelo Burda wrote:

>>- I removed the polar whales special-case.
>
> :-(

Just too ugly.  It's hard-coding information from the ruleset.  Someone
could easily just switch whales and fish, and get the entirely wrong
behavior.

However I'd like to think about how this kind of thing can be done
generally, with information taken from the ruleset.

These are the kinds of special-cases we have now:

- Some terrains only occur at certain temperatures.
- Some terrains are more likely at certain temperatures.
- Some terrains clump up in weird ways.
- Some terrains occur only at certain heights.

And similar kinds of restrictions should be possible for specials.

However doing all of this with data loaded from the rulesets is tricky.
  We don't want a whole scripting language, just a few parameters.

>>- I reverted the torus projection to its earlier form.
>
> ?
> i will need explains who make intuitive math. that is not so easy.
> No problem.

I'd like to add the documentation for this to the code.  Either in
doc/HACKING or directly inside mapgen.h.  However your current .txt
description has some weird charset.  It's not latin1 or utf-8, AFAICT.
We should probably use utf-8 for this.  Or maybe a custom format (like
.fig or something).

jason