Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8624) New clima function to best handle terrain pl

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8624) New clima function to best handle terrain place, used to place poles.
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 15:04:51 -0700

Le dim 06/06/2004 à 23:41, Jason Short a écrit :

> Marcelo Burda wrote:
>
> >>- I removed the polar whales special-case.
> >
> > :-(
>
> Just too ugly.  It's hard-coding information from the ruleset.  Someone
> could easily just switch whales and fish, and get the entirely wrong
> behavior.
>
> However I'd like to think about how this kind of thing can be done
> generally, with information taken from the ruleset.
>
> These are the kinds of special-cases we have now:
>
> - Some terrains only occur at certain temperatures.
> - Some terrains are more likely at certain temperatures.
> - Some terrains clump up in weird ways.
> - Some terrains occur only at certain heights.
>
> And similar kinds of restrictions should be possible for specials.
>
> However doing all of this with data loaded from the rulesets is tricky.
>   We don't want a whole scripting language, just a few parameters.
Yes this is nice way.

i think specials will be separated of terrains, the some special can be
in different terrains and or temperatures. this will allow to create
nice maps.

mountains and forest can be donne as a specials, as rivers. to allow to
make mountains on arctic tundra or dessert.

and terraform forest can add a little of forest changing a little the
stats until a full forest.

> >>- I reverted the torus projection to its earlier form.
> >
> > ?
> > i will need explains who make intuitive math. that is not so easy.
> > No problem.
>
> I'd like to add the documentation for this to the code.  Either in
> doc/HACKING or directly inside mapgen.h.  However your current .txt
> description has some weird charset.  It's not latin1 or utf-8, AFAICT.
> We should probably use utf-8 for this.  Or maybe a custom format (like
> .fig or something).
after updating to SUsE 9,1 i get problems of charset. normaly now i use
UTF-8 but this is not full compilant on all programs

I prepare the math and the doc for the quincuntial case, these case is
too complex to be make as exact math but in a intuitive way this will be
easy, 90% done, i need tune it but my soft has problems on kernel 2,6.