Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8624) New clima function to best handle terrain pl

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8624) New clima function to best handle terrain place, used to place poles.
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:19:07 -0700

Marcelo Burda wrote:

>>- Why are specials more likely in the ocean?  Quite a bit more likely too...
>
> i am not hard fixed in thiny thinks but i will expalains it.
> if a city is near sea this city can use 2 tiles of sea but only one as
> spetials. to get the some number of spetial we need a litle more.
> probably this can be retired of the patch. this is the some thin to make
> spetial in sea near coast 1 or 2 tiles far.
>
> after all this not need to be there, i will change it.

IMO specials should be put all throughout the ocean.  But this is a
design question so we should get some other opinions on it.

A special that is 2 tiles away from land is much less useful than one 1
tile away.  Often it can only be accessed by 1 or 2 land tiles.

If you think in terms of different types of ocean (coastal/deep ocean)
it makes sense that some specials will only be found in coastal ocean.
What's interesting is that sometimes the coastal ocean may extend out
several tiles and not just be along the "coast".  Of course we can't do
this yet.

> walls yes! a like this ;-)

Huh?

>>- Why do you pass a minval to adjust_map even though it no longer needs
>>one?
>
> i see i was posted a file were generator 5 was not updated, sorry
>
>> (adjust_map should take a "void" argument if you don't want it to
>>have arguments.)  Fixing adjust_map looks like a good idea but I don't
>>think it needs to be a part of this patch (maybe it should be done first).
>
> i use adjust map to first flater a litle poles. then, after makeing land
> i renormalize it to make extra land at poles and alow make mountains to
> texture it.
>
> i can make this in a new patch if you really like but it is a tiny point
> of the patch to change adjust_map. the change are basically at poles

I'd rather have it as a separate patch.

>>- I'm not sure that the textures parameter to make_polar is needed
>>either.
>
> the problems is in generator 2-4 where there are not hmap.
>
>>Yes it's nice to have textured poles.  But what does that have
>>to do with climate?
>
> i make a working and playable patch. i thin continue to work in it, but
> the first patch need to make somethin nice to be played. i can simply
> put a all arctic pole. in generator 2-4, and then work in it later. or
> begin with some lines of ugly code and clean these line later in a nice
> patch.
> probably the best is to make a make_polar_island() for generators 2-4 in
> some style. of this or at last separated from the make_polar() called in
> generators 1,5.

OK.  I'd rather have this as a separate patch too but this may not be
possible.

jason