Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8624) New clima function to best handle terrain pl

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8624) New clima function to best handle terrain place, used to place poles.
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 13:55:15 -0700

Le sam 29/05/2004 à 21:34, Jason Short a écrit :

> > [mburda - Sat May 29 08:41:00 2004]:
>
> > i am changed the separate poles concept to preserve hmap at poles. this
> > alow to make terrains in a more normal way
>
> Now this patch is getting too complicated.  It makes it harder for us to
> agree on everything, when it all has to be in one patch.  Maybe you
> should just split it up into several patches?
>
> Some things I don't agree with (or that should be separate patches):
>
> - Why are specials more likely in the ocean?  Quite a bit more likely too...
i am not hard fixed in thiny thinks but i will expalains it.
if a city is near sea this city can use 2 tiles of sea but only one as
spetials. to get the some number of spetial we need a litle more.
probably this can be retired of the patch. this is the some thin to make
spetial in sea near coast 1 or 2 tiles far.

after all this not need to be there, i will change it.

walls yes! a like this ;-)

> - Why do you pass a minval to adjust_map even though it no longer needs
> one?
i see i was posted a file were generator 5 was not updated, sorry
>  (adjust_map should take a "void" argument if you don't want it to
> have arguments.)  Fixing adjust_map looks like a good idea but I don't
> think it needs to be a part of this patch (maybe it should be done first).
i use adjust map to first flater a litle poles. then, after makeing land
i renormalize it to make extra land at poles and alow make mountains to
texture it.

i can make this in a new patch if you really like but it is a tiny point
of the patch to change adjust_map. the change are basically at poles

> - I'm not sure that the textures parameter to make_polar is needed
> either.
the problems is in generator 2-4 where there are not hmap.
> Yes it's nice to have textured poles.  But what does that have
> to do with climate?
i make a working and playable patch. i thin continue to work in it, but
the first patch need to make somethin nice to be played. i can simply
put a all arctic pole. in generator 2-4, and then work in it later. or
begin with some lines of ugly code and clean these line later in a nice
patch.
probably the best is to make a make_polar_island() for generators 2-4 in
some style. of this or at last separated from the make_polar() called in
generators 1,5.

--