Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8073) win32: unit moves aren't smooth

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8073) win32: unit moves aren't smooth
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:13:42 -0800

Jason Short wrote:

> James Canete wrote:
>

>>After a little research, I find that mingw has no support for
>>gettimeofday(), which is required for millisecond resolution for freeciv
>>timers.
>

> Ouch.  If you can figure out what replacement functions to use instead
> (there must be one!) we can add an appropriate configure check and
> change timer.c.

I believe ftime() should work.

Also, if neither function is present we should not fall back to time().
  We should just fail.  1-second resolution isn't enough for a lot of
the work we have to do.  For instance I guess the old win32 animation
code didn't work either, but nobody noticed since it happened so
quickly.  When units actually have real animations this just won't be
acceptable.  And every platform should have an alternative function with
at least millisecond resolution.

jason