[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7095) No Capital, and can't build one..

To: admerik@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7095) No Capital, and can't build one..
From: "imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:59:00 -0800

On 04-01-22 you wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure a first time player would like to know that it's a bad
>> idea beforehand, if not from a warning, then at least from a tutorial.

> You can read in the help that a palace is a really important building.
> And after trying 5-6 games with selling and without you will learn that
> it's a bad idea to sell it.

Chicken and egg problem here. IMO it's best to learn _this_ particular
issue the first time you try.

>> I see no reason not to include a warning - for this rare cases when
>> you really *want* to sell your palace, one click more won't do you any
>> bad. Playing games is not like fiddling with a root account - one
>> should be stopped from shooting oneself in the foot unless explictly
>> told not to.

> Yes, it's not fiddling with a root account. You can restart and retry.
> Ask other players and learn.

It's best to learn during the game what a loss of a palace would mean
before you try to get rid of it. Show newbies some mercy!

> Freeciv is a game, and the game can't prevent you from making errors.

Except for the most obvious ones, which selling a palace under
*despotism* without Masonary (or even any other goverment type)
researched is.

> Think i played more games where i had to sell my palace in an emergency
> case than any other player selled it as fault.

> And one click is really very much when you are in time preasure.

It's your fault that you have to sell the palace in the first place.

Really, I'd code this feature with .rc settable on/off option if I had
any idea how to code in GTK+.

--
{ Marek Baczyński :: UIN 57114871 :: GG 161671 :: JID imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  }
{ http://www.vlo.ids.gda.pl/ | imbaczek at poczta fm | http://www.promode.org }