[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Extended connect dialog (PR#977)

To: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Extended connect dialog (PR#977)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:08:03 -0800

Mike Kaufman wrote:

> Here's the connect dialog patch ported over to the new delta system.
>
> There are a few changes to Daniel's previous version:
>
> o GTK2 only. sorry gtk1 fans. this made things easier. If someone wants
>   a gtk1 (or xaw or sdl, or..) version, you're welcome to code it.
> o Kept a separate window for the connect dialog. Again: laziness.
>
> o removed "send to metaserver" option.
> o removed "server settings" options
> o removed "rulesets" option
>
> The reasons are various for these changes. I didn't like the way they were
> implemented, and I wanted something that could actually make it into CVS.
> The latter two features I'm willing to accept as future add-on patches.
> Before you go implemented either though, you might want to talk to me about
> it first.
>
> There is a bug: (well there are probably several, but this one is fairly
> easy to find) starting an independent server and then connecting to it via
> the "connect to network game" is fine, but if you then quit the server you
> get this in the client:
>
> 2: lost connection to server
>
> (civclient:22233): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 3065
> (gtk_widget_event): assertion `WIDGET_REALIZED_FOR_EVENT (widget, event)'
> failed
>
> maybe Vasc can help here.
>
> The patch is too large to attach here. I've added the patch as a comment in
> RT. the patch is: "newconn1.diff". It looks ok (no corruption).
>
> to apply:
> % patch -p1 < ../newconn1.diff
> % cd common/ ; ./generate_packets.py ; cd ..
> % ./autogen.sh && make
>
> -mike

Some compile warnings:

gamehand.c:421: warning: no previous prototype for
`handle_single_want_hack_req'

srv_main.c:814: warning: implicit declaration of function
`handle_single_want_hack_req'

"Save game as autogame" menu option should just be "quick save" IMO.

The "local area network" tab of the network connection dialog doesn't
seem to work quite right.  When I click on a game to connect to my
selection is immediately deselected.  This only happens immediately
after I "refresh" the game list.  If I go over to another tab and back
it works fine (sometimes).  Trying to connect to a game through the LAN
tab doesn't work either: the connection is refused (presumably an auth
issue since I connect by the hostname rather than localhost).

When loading a game it would be nice to filter the file list by *.sav.gz
or *.sav.

Hmm, I think that's all.  In general the behavior seems very good.

jason