[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Extended connect dialog (PR#977)

To: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Extended connect dialog (PR#977)
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:26:34 -0800

Here's the connect dialog patch ported over to the new delta system.

There are a few changes to Daniel's previous version:

o GTK2 only. sorry gtk1 fans. this made things easier. If someone wants
  a gtk1 (or xaw or sdl, or..) version, you're welcome to code it.
o Kept a separate window for the connect dialog. Again: laziness.

o removed "send to metaserver" option.
o removed "server settings" options
o removed "rulesets" option

The reasons are various for these changes. I didn't like the way they were
implemented, and I wanted something that could actually make it into CVS.
The latter two features I'm willing to accept as future add-on patches.
Before you go implemented either though, you might want to talk to me about
it first.

There is a bug: (well there are probably several, but this one is fairly
easy to find) starting an independent server and then connecting to it via
the "connect to network game" is fine, but if you then quit the server you
get this in the client:

2: lost connection to server

(civclient:22233): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 3065
(gtk_widget_event): assertion `WIDGET_REALIZED_FOR_EVENT (widget, event)'
failed

maybe Vasc can help here.

The patch is too large to attach here. I've added the patch as a comment in
RT. the patch is: "newconn1.diff". It looks ok (no corruption).

to apply:
% patch -p1 < ../newconn1.diff
% cd common/ ; ./generate_packets.py ; cd ..
% ./autogen.sh && make

-mike