[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Do you want VS .NET 2003 support?

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Do you want VS .NET 2003 support?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 18:54:10 -0800

James Canete wrote:

> I could make some sort of package that would automatically install all
> the libraries that I made manually during the tutorial, analogous to
> what is provided with Crystal Space.

Would it be heretical to suggest that you *could* (IMO that's "should")
have *all* needed project libraries as part of your source distribution?
Maybe you guys think it's pleasant enough on Linux, where libraries are
generally installed correctly already, but it's a damn bitch / nightmare
for us Windoze guys.  We've got Cygwin versions, MinGW versions, and
what we *really* want is to link against our preferred runtimes like
MSVCRT71.dll.  In fact I've never gotten a Freeciv build going on
Windows using Cygwin / MinGW.  I gave up, and said it would be less
effort to create VS .NET 2003 files from scratch, despite all the
porting headaches.  And I still think I called that one correctly.

So the solution in my VS .NET 2003 build is I've got my own
libpng125_71, zlib121_71, and dirent.  Don't know if they all work /
play well yet, but I didn't change the libraries any.  Just changed the
names because the license requires nonstandard DLLs to be so changed.
Their standard DLL links against VC 6.0 MSVCRT.dll, and to a 2003 guy
that's annoying / recipe for trouble.

It would be easy enough to compile these sources for other platforms,
they are standard sources.  And they aren't huge libraries either, it's
not like it would superbloat your distro.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.