[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:21:14 -0800

On  5/01/2004, you wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:17:00PM -0800, Raimar Falke wrote:
>>   - main screen
>>     This one is hard. So far we collect the following items which
>>     should/could be contained:
>>     * the main map
>>     * the mini map
>>     * buttons for quick access (cities, research, players, nation)
>> ALTERNATIVE: menu
>>     * buttons for unit commands ALTERNATIVE: menu
>>     * info about focus unit
>>     * info about current tile (current tile=tile of the current
>> focus unit)
>>     * list of units on the current tile (optional also the city)
>>     * general purpose area (messages, power graphs, ...)
>>     * turn done + menu button
>>     * general info (turn, population, money, ...)
>>     * input for chat ALTERNATIVE: shift-return or similar to bring
>> a popup
>>     * chat output area ALTERNATIVE: fading output at top-left
>> corner like in Diablo2

Diablo 2 IIRC relied on the top left corner of the screen being pretty
dark or black.  I don't think we can guarantee suitable conditions
over the mapview.

>>    This may look like a mix between SMAC and GalCiv.
>
> I used a scaled galciv screen for the current testing. The
> screenshot is at http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/mapview.png. I
> really need some input on the general design and layout. Else I will
> arrange them in simple grid at a corner.

I've attached a quick layout idea that I'd quite like (for a 640x480
screen).  Maybe it's of some use to you.

IMO it is important to ensure that as much of the main map is visible
as possible.

I've based the size of the lower panels (minimap etc.) on comfortably
fitting 2 units on top of each other.  Units seem to go up to 48
pixels high so that's what I measured with.  The resulting height
conveniently matches the default size of the minimap (80x50 tiles,
160x100 pixels).

I've made the top panels 30 high as this seems to be the size of the
buttons in the deluxe tileset (for SDL).

Theoretically it would be nice if the layout automatically adjusted to
the size of the images and fonts...

> A technical point:
>
> I want the minimap scaled to a fixed size. So that it fits into a
> region of the background image. Either a natural version (one pixel
> for a tile) is constructed and scaled to the output size OR the
> scaled output is drawn directly. I have a gut feeling that the first
> solution is not fast (enough). And I'm not sure if the quality of
> the output image will be bad in the second choice because of the
> partial updates the output image would get. Any input?

What about a scrollable minimap?  I would rather this than scaling as
scaling would probably result in the loss of many terrain features.

Actually come to think of it why not have a zoom feature (2:1, 1:1,
1:2, etc) so the player can choose what works for them and the mapsize
they've chosen?  Combine this with scroll buttons (would be nicer than
scroll bars I think) and the minimap is fully flexible.

     -Morgan

PNG image