[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:56:51 -0800

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:17:00PM -0800, Raimar Falke wrote:
>    - main screen
>      This one is hard. So far we collect the following items which
>      should/could be contained:
>      * the main map
>      * the mini map
>      * buttons for quick access (cities, research, players, nation)
> ALTERNATIVE: menu
>      * buttons for unit commands ALTERNATIVE: menu
>      * info about focus unit
>      * info about current tile (current tile=tile of the current focus unit)
>      * list of units on the current tile (optional also the city)
>      * general purpose area (messages, power graphs, ...)
>      * turn done + menu button
>      * general info (turn, population, money, ...)
>      * input for chat ALTERNATIVE: shift-return or similar to bring a popup
>      * chat output area ALTERNATIVE: fading output at top-left corner like in
> Diablo2
>     This may look like a mix between SMAC and GalCiv.

I used a scaled galciv screen for the current testing. The screenshot
is at http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/mapview.png. I really need
some input on the general design and layout. Else I will arrange them
in simple grid at a corner.

A technical point:

I want the minimap scaled to a fixed size. So that it fits into a
region of the background image. Either a natural version (one pixel
for a tile) is constructed and scaled to the output size OR the scaled
output is drawn directly. I have a gut feeling that the first solution
is not fast (enough). And I'm not sure if the quality of the output
image will be bad in the second choice because of the partial updates
the output image would get. Any input?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "brand memory are for windows users that think their stability