[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS (was: allies give all their tec

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS (was: allies give all their techs for nothing)
From: "imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:51:46 -0800

On 03-12-05 you wrote:

AL> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:43:53 -0800 Jason Short wrote:

>> But ICS is a winning strategy, and has been in every civ game
>> I know about.

AL> Civ 3 actually solved it. People with linear ideas should note that
AL> no amount of messing with petty game variables has ever solved the
AL> problem.

AFAIK there are only two ways of changing any game:
1) change the rules,
2) change petty variables.

We have these ideas to fight ICS -- some change the petty variables,
some change the rules:
- increasing settler cost with each built settler,
- increasing corruption to draconian levels,
- increasing tech costs with every city (mine, mine! ;) I could even
  write a patch, I believe.)
- making certain improvements required for building certain units
  (implemented even) and resarching certain techs,
- having settlers cost 2 pop; splitting settler to settler/worker,
- no free city centre production anymore,
- restricting city radius,
- patriotism (#6375),
- probably some more I'm not aware of.

Now we should analyse what are the benefits of ICS. There is one:
exponential growth in every aspect of the game.

Observation: To successfully combat exponential things, you need to
apply exponenetial countermeasures or change game rules. If it's true,
then we need to have some costs growing at a rapid
rate. Or change the rules.

--
{ Marek Baczyński :: UIN 57114871 :: GG 161671 :: JID imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  }
{ http://www.vlo.ids.gda.pl/ | imbaczek at poczta fm | http://www.promode.org }