[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [SPAM] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [SPAM] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS
From: "raven@xxxxxxxxx" <raven@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:43:28 -0800

>There needs to be a payoff for cities being bigger.  That's the core problem.
>No payoff, no point.

-That- I agree with, deffinitely.

>>AL> Genereal slowdown. But since we have the nice worker unit
>>graphics..

It's a general slowdown because you can't build 'anything', as per said
a few days ago, but see, you can, you can build city improvements.  That
bores some people.  Doesn't bore the people who want a slower game that
involves building city improvements though, which is the group of people
who like the idea.  Imagine that, people want a strategy game to be
about long term strategy rather than just a race to get Frigates first.
Also, I've been testing it, and having cheap worker units in the game is
anything but a "general slowdown".

>>And it works in SMAC, IMHO :)
>>

>Civ3 also distinguishes between Settlers and Workers.  However, the idea of
>requiring 2 pop to produce a city of 1 pop is insipid.  Please don't spend
>your time on how to piss off all the Civ/SMAC fans out there.

Nice adjective, but I'm a 10 year civ addict and love the idea of
settlers costing 2 pop and making 1 pop cities.  If you need some
semblance of realism, how bout "half of them died on the way", settling
new cities is some tough shit, man.

Clearly it won't be part of a Civ1/2 ruleset, but come on, I've been
playing with that ruleset for a freakin' decade now, it's loop-holes are
well enough known as to make playing boring.  Games come and go so much
largely because yes, it's a bitch to make them really really balanced,
so part of the fun is -finding- the whole, after that it's just
exploiting the whole, and that gets repeditive.  Change is great,
cloning 5/10 year old games gets a little stale after a while.  I've
spend as much time in the last 10 years pondering how I'd tweak the
settings of civ as I have playing the game.  That part is -fun-, trying
new settings is -fun-.  I -like- tweaking what Arnstein likes to call
"petty" details of the game.

>Hm, actually I wonder if I can get away with an almost all Luxury budget even
>under a Monarchy?  Wonder if I can get big early game growth rates?

Rapture == growth, only in Rep/Dem I believe.

--Zack