[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7021) fighting ICS

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7021) fighting ICS
From: "raven@xxxxxxxxx" <raven@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:30:13 -0800

>>It's a general slowdown because you can't build 'anything', as per said
>>a few days ago, but see, you can, you can build city improvements.  That
>>bores some people.  Doesn't bore the people who want a slower game that
>>involves building city improvements though, which is the group of people
>>who like the idea.  Imagine that, people want a strategy game to be
>>about long term strategy rather than just a race to get Frigates first.
>>Also, I've been testing it, and having cheap worker units in the game is
>>anything but a "general slowdown".
>>

>The slowdown isn't caused by the presence of workers, but because
>settlers cost 2 pop.
>
>This doesn't address ICS; it just slows the game down.  Whether this is
>good or bad is probably a matter of opinion.
>
>jason

I think it does partially address ICS.  It doesn't stop the math of more
cities being better, but it makes it take longer to make more cities.
That's not "general slowdown", that's expansion-specific slowdown, and
when expansion takes longer, because essentially you loose population to
expand, it makes building up comparitively more valuable in relation to
building out.

I'm not saying it's the best solution, or that it's at all effective as
a singular, stand alone change, or that it belongs in a civII clone, but
it's not just an even-keeled slowdown for everyone that doesn't effect
ICS.  I don't think ICS is-just- about building out as much as possible,
it's also about -never doing anything else-.

--Zack