[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) allies give all their techs for nothing

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) allies give all their techs for nothing
From: "Arnstein Lindgard" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 05:00:18 -0800

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:43:53 -0800 Jason Short wrote:

> But ICS is a winning strategy, and has been in every civ game
> I know about.

Civ 3 actually solved it. People with linear ideas should note that
no amount of messing with petty game variables has ever solved the
problem.

When the search engine worked, a long time ago, I checked out the
ancient discussions, and my conclusion is that Mike Jing is a very
clever man. One of his patches let your initial, say, 14 cities
retain a decent corruption/waste level, while later aquired ones
increasingly get the same draconian corruption/waste levels as in
Civ3. I should probably apologize for (barely) beating him with ICS
on his private patched server, which apparantly caused him to write a
very resigned article on freeciv.org.

If that patch was finished as a "civ 3 mode" or "anti smallpox
ruleset" or something, it could be fine-tuned by people with ideas
for messing with petty variables. I have a couple of those myself.
I think most civ players have, actually.

I wouldn't play such endless games myself, but it is very silly to
have a game full of city improvements, worklists, and governments
that are completely useless for the purpose of winning.

Arnstein