[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) allies give all their techs for nothing

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) allies give all their techs for nothing
From: "imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:31:08 -0800

On 03-12-04 you wrote:

>> There is, especially, no point in building
>> libraries as a human player,

AL> The dirty little secret of Freeciv is that there's no point in
AL> building any city improvements whatsover until the smallpox problem
AL> is solved.

I thought about this a little and came up with a few ideas (wheter
they suck or not is a whole different issue :))

Making tech cost a function of techlevel, i.e. something like
techcost(level) = level*factor              (1)

Making tech cost a function of number of cities ((1) is not
antismallpox at all):
techcost(cities) = cities*factor            (2)
(factor becomes research profitabiliy in settlement planning)

Now we can take (1) and (2) and combine them:
techcost(level, cities, techs) =
level*factor_level*(cities*factor_cities+basecost*techs)

This reduces to what is currently implemented (I believe) when factors
are 0. But I'm afraid this will also slow the game down to a crawl,
making largepox the True Strategy, which is not really what you want
-- IMHO you want smallpox and largepox be at least moderately
balanced.

--
{ Marek Baczyński :: UIN 57114871 :: GG 161671 :: JID imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  }
{ http://www.vlo.ids.gda.pl/ | imbaczek at poczta fm | http://www.promode.org }