[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6815) Balancing Battle Response Time for Different

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: tomcatkev0@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6815) Balancing Battle Response Time for Different Client CPU/Network connection
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:54:00 -0800

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 04:43:27AM -0800, Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 03:58:16AM -0800, Thomas Strub wrote:
> >
> > And having the same virtuell pingtime isn't enough to get a fair game. I
> > think in a strategy game with concurrent movement it should be possible
> > to reduce the action which are ping/reactiondependent to a minimum.
>
> Good point. But when it is not ping dependent any more, no one cares about a
> delay :->

For a fast game you need:

Low ping (round trip time)
High bandwith (big information chunks during reconnect or after end of
turn)
Fast computer (to draw unitmovement, update CMA ...)
(A fast player ...)
(A non gtk2-client ... horrible slow unitmovement in the cvs version)

So people will allways complain about there situation when they have a
system where one point isn't fulfilled.

> > I like all improvements which make the game fairer by being playable on
> > slower machines. But don't make a game on a fast machine slower.
>
> Reasonable. OTOH, let me guess, you've never played over modem, right? ;-)

I played with a connection where i had a ping of 1 second to the
civserver. (1.5 MBit shared with 40 leechers)

But i like the current situation where i have a game where i have no lag
when i want to move a unit on civserver.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.