Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Example of new game mechanics

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Example of new game mechanics
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:20:48 +0000 (GMT)

This is a showcase of what we can now do with some of our new game rules.

In game rationale: Back in the dark ages, powerful rulers could use
people's religion to serve their own ends, and one of the ways they did
this was to instigate crusades. Paid for by wealthy and religious
merchants, and staffed by both adventurers and religious zealots, the
crusades were much cheaper than sending official armies.

The Crusaders unit is a unique unit that costs next to nothing to build.
Stats-wise it is a beefed up Knights unit that cannot be bribed. The
downside is that it can only be built in cities that have Cathedrals.

(Note that I am not suggesting that this is added to default ruleset.)

  - Per