Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: SVG flags from the "worms" tileset.

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: SVG flags from the "worms" tileset.
From: "Arturo Espinosa-Aldama" <arturoea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:00:18 -0500

From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: Arturo Espinosa-Aldama <arturoea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: SVG flags from the "worms" tileset.
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:42:53 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Arturo Espinosa-Aldama wrote:
> > I finished all 81 flag designs for the tileset I'm working on. This could be > > useful for other tilesets. The flags have a "wavy" texture on top (which can > > be removed as well) and can be rendered at any resolution, or you may simply
> > want to take a look at them:
> Terrific work, as usual!

Yes, this is very nice work.

I have one question, though. Can sodipodi make svg animations?

That's an absolute no. I don't think sodipodi was ever thought for animations. I didn't even know that animations were possible with SVG...

We have
been wondering how to store animations for some time now, and maybe SVG is
the answer...

Can Blender output to SVG (or another vector graphics format that can be
converted to SVG)?

I would be surprised if it could... usually the 3D applications are meant to render to raster images and animations. SVG is a strictly 2-D format, AFAIK, and rendering from 3D to 2D vector graphics is a completly different deal than to raster images. I know it wouldn't be impossible: you just render the ortho projection of the primitives and probably loose a lot of detail and complex objects, depending on the limitations of the 2D shape and texturing model (SVG is quite limited, for example).

But! Maybe Blender can export to Postscript... that's another 2D vector format.

Greetings,
Arturo