Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Example of new game mechanics

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Example of new game mechanics
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:29:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Thomas Strub wrote:
> Perhaps a nation should have religion too. Than that units would really
> make sense. Don't know how many are necessary and what power you get
> from the religion.

The only way we could add named religions to the game is by making it
satirical / ironic, and not in any way purporting to be realistic or
historical. Otherwise the potential to seriously offend some people would
be much too big. And even then we'd have to thread very carefully.

An alternative is to add non-specific religions, like "Atheism",
"Monotheism", etc., but those are less fun and have less alternatives to
choose from.

Religion would be a general civ modifier like government, but I would say
much less powerful to preserve some semblance of game balance. If it
worked in conjunction with gen effects, it would work without major
coding effort.

  - Per