[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3489) Patch to add new generator

To: jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3489) Patch to add new generator
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:56:38 -0700

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 02:48:01PM -0700, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 02:36:41PM -0700, jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 02:16:13PM -0700, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > >
> > Do you still think that with versions 5 and later?  If so can you elaborate
> > on why you think it is artificial?
>
> I'm not at all hot on the idea of roads at game start. This veers a bit far
> from the idea of _map_ generation to me. And it's awfully artificial.

I think a generator should put some times on the map and select starting
positions.

The code should be readable, and the style conventions should be used.

If the generator gives bad results noone will use the maps created by
the generator. But i think that the more generators we have the chances
get higher that we get a good one.

The maps generated with gen 6 aren't fair, doesn't look good ... but i
think it's a step into the right direction.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.