Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4606) FreecivAC: Oceanic cities

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4606) FreecivAC: Oceanic cities
From: "Ben Webb" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 05:46:20 -0700

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:11:58AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Can you post a ruleset patch [for Ocean cities] then? Wanna see whether
> > I can crash it :)
> See http://freecivac.sf.net/.  The set of patches is pretty extensive.
> In particular gen-effects is needed to have the buildings work at all
> (it's a "full" SMAC ruleset).

True; not only do you get SMAC-style ocean city support, but the borders
patch, generalized effects, configurable calendars, and SMAC-style
scripted compound units and governments. (Currently S-Lang is used for
the scripting, but it should be relatively straightforward to merge in
the previously-released Python scripting patch in the future.) If you
don't play in SMAC mode though (i.e. you don't start the server as
"./civ -r smac.serv") then FreecivAC looks pretty much the same as
standard Freeciv.

> The CVS version would be easier to use, I imagine, but may not be
> up-to-date (I've never used it).

CVS is rarely more than a few days less up to date than the patches,
and vice versa, since I usually work on FreecivAC CVS and diff against
Freeciv CVS. (At the moment I think the patches are slightly more up to
date than CVS, but there's not much in it.) The ocean cities patch is a
slightly modified subset of the AC-base patch (e.g. all of the SMAC
ruleset information has been removed from the patch).

If you don't want to use FreecivAC though, you can test the patch quite
easily by adding "Cities" to the flags field of a unit (e.g. Caravel or
Fighter) in units.ruleset. It's entirely possible that bugs will show
up...

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same